Pages

Friday 6 January 2012

I really have to start listening to 'normal' music

The story that I've made a start on is set in modern day, and there is absolutely nothing fantastical about it. 'Normal' people requires a 'normal' taste in music for inspiration and that was when I realised...

...my music collection is completely unprepared. 

I like listening to dramatic music such as Nightwish, and soundtracks by Hans Zimmer. When I need something a bit more mellow, I turn to Loreena McKennitt. But these people, and the lovely people that they share my iTunes with, don't really seem to cut it in your every day 21st century.



Don't get me wrong, I'm not disowning the music that I love just for the book. It's just, it's hard to write about something ordinary while Hans Zimmer's strings are trying to tell me that all hell is breaking loose aboard the Black Pearl. There's a time and a place, and this isn't one of them. 

So, I'm off to check out the charts to see what there is there that I like, but never really considered putting into my music collection. Bruno Mars? Perhaps. Take That? Their new album is pretty good. Adele? All right then. Everyone else on the planet has 21, it's probably about time I did too.

I draw the line at Rihanna. When she writes a song about a 'hopeless' place and films the video in my country, I do take it a little personally.

Sarah xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!