Pages

Saturday 20 April 2013

Q is for Questions Left Unanswered

Q IS SO DIFFICULT.

Questions left unanswered. It's a bit of a long stretch but what I really mean is cliffhangers. I have a very love/hate relationship with cliffhangers.

I LOVE writing them and watching as chaos erupts around me.


However, I hate being on the reading end when a bomb drops and you know theres no way you're sleeping tonight because you just have to finish the whole book after that.

They're the real spice of the book, they keep you going from one chapter to the next.

But at the same time, I don't like having everything wrapped up in a neat little bow either. Take Mockingjay for example. [Spoilers ahead if you don't know the ending of the 3rd book]
Mockingjay had possibly the worst ending I could have ever imagined. We got about 3 pages of what life was like after the events of The Hunger Games. Characters were mentioned once and forgotten about it felt very rushed and I think this is one occassion where it might have been best not to have answered every question. Or if you were, to have it a bit less rushed!

What's your opinion on cliffhangers or authors leaving questions unanswered?

Sarah x

p.s. I'm going to leave you with a picture of my favourite Q

I just want to pinch his adorable sassy cheeks!

3 comments:

  1. I caught so much fuss for my ambiguous ending to St. Peter in Chains that I'm writing a sequel to make people feel better.

    ~MPL
    http://pepperwords.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first experience with a cliffhanger was in my fourth grade English textbook. The story didn't have a happy ending and there was so much left unanswered. I hated it that time. But now I understand and enjoy reading such kind of books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think some things need to be answered and some don't. Trying to resolve every little thing usually makes for a cluttered and unsatisfying ending.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!