Pages

Monday 1 April 2013

A is for Adventure.

Yes, I'm doing the A-Z blog thing. Yes, I'm an idiot for signing up. Yes, I did lose the list of all the topics that I had planned to talk about. BRILLIANT START SARAH!

I've gotten off to a bit of a false start. I know I should have been prepared for this but April 1st kind of crept up on me and caught me unawares. 

The idea that I had for the A-Z was to give my (brief) opinion on various themes and genres of books. Today is A, so I'm starting with ADVENTURE!


Yes Bilbo, like that. 

For my first post I'm going to get all philosophical and start by saying that I think ALL stories are technically adventures.  Some are the more obvious sort taken by our little Hobbit friend. But even the stories that don't scream ADVENTURE at you, are still likely to be. They may not be dragon slaying, mountain reclaiming sort of adventures, but are adventures nonetheless. Even if the protagonist isn't physically going anywhere, they're more than likely having a personal/spiritual journey of some sort. Rarely are people the same at the end of a book or series as they are at the beginning. 

I really admire those who tackle stories where the 'adventure' is internal and therefore done through much more subtle means. 

Do you agree? Are ALL stories technically adventures? 

Now I'm off to try and remember what I had planned for B-Z. Wish me luck!

Sarah x

6 comments:

  1. You're not the only one Sarah, I had hoped to have all my A to Z posts written in advance but wrote today's last night and have only just finished tomorrow's. I do have six others written but they are not in sequence, and I'm going on holiday next week! I really need to get my finger out.

    I agree that all books feature adventure, whether internal or external, it's what keeps me turning the pages. Good look for the rest of the challenge, I look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the protagonist isn't changed in some way at the end by events then it's not really a story. Or a pretty unsatisfactory one. Great post. I'm sure you'll do great in the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping by from A to Z. I totally agree with you on two counts. Every story is an adventure. And that April 1st did kinda creep up! Loved your post!
    http://skaypisms.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Nick - for a story to be one, there has to be some change. From that perspective, every story is indeed an adventure.

    Wonderful post; looking forward to reading more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely! Sorry to hear you've lost your list for the challenge. But seems you're making progress nonetheless. :)

    Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
    http://writebackwards.we3dements.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. Pretty much me getting out of bed in the morning is an adventure. =]

    PS - Love The Hobbit.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!