Pages

Friday 12 April 2013

K is for Kid's Fiction

I'm going to talk to you about Children's fiction for a bit! Not a lot, because I've not read anything younger than YA since I graduated from Middle Grade at about 14.

My favourite books to read as a kid, to be read to me by my mother, or by myself was Animal Ark. The Animal Ark series, of which there were many books, was about the daughter of a vet and her adventures in helping and rescuing sick/injured/in trouble animals. I wanted to be a vet until I was about 11 and these books probably had something to do with that.


From what I can remember, I adored these books. I also had the audiobooks of them on cassette tape and would listen to them at night as I drifted off to sleep. 

I think it takes a special art to write childrens books. You need to know at what level to write at to keep them amused as well as expand their minds. It's something that I don't think I could do and I admire those who can! 

What were your favourite books as a child? 

Sarah x

3 comments:

  1. What an absolutely adorable cover! That looks like a lovely book series.

    My favorite kids series growing up was definitely THE BABYSITTER'S CLUB. Now, probably my favorite middle grade books (besides Harry Potter; they're so popular, they don't count) are THE GIVER quartet by Lois Lowry. And while these don't cross over as well, I'm really fond of DIARY OF A WIMPY KID and 39 CLUES series for breaking down a lot of barriers for reluctant readers; I handsell those a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Middle Grade writer I still read a lot of kid fiction. I loved Beverly Cleary as a kid. Now, I have too many favorite authors to pick one.

    Jenn @Scribbles From Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will sound silly, but sometimes I forget for a moment that it is adults who write the young adult books!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!