Pages

Friday 26 April 2013

V is for Vampires

Alternative title: What happens when the market gets so saturated that you really don't give a crap anymore.

This is going to be brief to avoid me going into full scale rant mode.

I used to really enjoy vampire fiction. There was something dark, sexy, alluring about the immortality and the blood and... perhaps this is just my teenage goth self coming back out of the closet, but I really did enjoy it. I loved the movies too. (Also, your parents look at you real weird when you're 14 and obsessed with 30 something actors playing centuries old vampires. I think at one point they were expecting me to come with a hairy biker in his late 20's as a boyfriend. Imagine their surprise when I came home with a minister's son 6 months younger than me. But that's another story.)

Then a certain franchise came along and both the YA and adult book market were so full of vampires that it was a miracle there were any humans left for them to feed on.

But maybe it's a case of when you eat too much of something, and you can't look at that food again for several months, until you suddenly get a craving again? Perhaps one day I'll go back to vampire fiction and enjoy it for what it was, a good old fashioned dirty secret.

Did you get a vampire OD when the whole Twilight thing blew up, or can you still read about them without wanting to throw the book out the window Silver Linings Playbook style?

Sarah x

2 comments:

  1. Love this: Then a certain franchise came along and both the YA and adult book market were so full of vampires that it was a miracle there were any humans left for them to feed on.

    I haven't read that many vampire books (Interview With The Vampire, the Twilight series, The Radleys and No Such Thing As Immortality) so haven't got sick of reading them. I did, however, get fed up of seeing the bookshelves with littered with the same kind of covers. It's the same with the whole Fifty Shades type covers that are around now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog. I'm presently writing a vampire novel. I'm hoping it would be accepted. And no, my characters don't sparkle. LOL I still have hope for vampire fiction. I'm sure that every writer's imagination would expand for improvement.

    From A to Z Challenge,
    Sonnia J. Kemmer

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!