Pages

Monday 27 February 2012

Suit up, it's the Knights of MicroFiction!

Having basically all but run out of blog ideas, I've joined the Knights of MicroFiction to give me something to write and maybe a kick back onto the path of productivity because my WIP has basically been floundering too.

You should really check it out. It's only once a month, and I think it's such a good idea, and I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone makes of the prompts! 


Photobucket

The prompt for this week was: After all this time, there it was...

My entry's not from a WIP or anything, I just went with where my head was going when I read the prompt. Here's what I came up with!


After all this time, there it was – there he was – lying right at the bottom of the box.
Officially, we had moved in a little over three years ago, but we still hadn’t managed to completely unpack. I’m sure a very philosophical individual would say at this point about how we don’t need all of our junk but I’m not one of those people. I like having stuff. Every piece of so-called junk has it’s own story.
I reached in and picked my old friend up. He hadn’t changed a bit. With all the articulation that a two year old could muster, the day Dad had brought him home, I had appropriately named him ‘Beary’.  To this day I still have a problem with stating the obvious.
The lenses of his glass eyes were scratched, from his many adventures, and parts of his grey fur were almost bare in places. Maybe I had given him one too many cuddles. Little specks of pink nail varnish still clung to his paws from the time I had decided to give him a manicure. Mum had spent hours trying to get it off, and the house had smelt of remover solution for days afterward.
With a smile, I carried him down the stairs and into the sitting room. In pride of place I set him into the big antique armchair. Jake looked up at me over his glasses, then, glanced towards the new arrival.
“Should I be jealous?”
“Of Beary?” I replied. “Always.”


Word count: 250 exactly!

Hope you enjoyed it. Why don't you pop off to read some more of the Knight's posts? 

Sarah x

3 comments:

  1. Aww I love it! Thanks so much for participating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! I love the direction you took this. Great post. Thanks for joining us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, that was great! Like finding a childhood memory stored in a box. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!