Pages

Sunday 1 February 2015

What I read in January

I never do read very many books throughout a month because lesson preparation takes up a lot of my free time. However, here's what I did read in January.

1. Code Name Verity



I started this book sometime in October and couldn't for the life of me get into it. I read small portions of it, then finally relented and started another book. I went back to it New Years Eve to try and reach my Goodreads Challenge goal. That was when something clicked and I couldn't put it down.

A very good book I just wish that I'd clicked with the book earlier to allow myself to enjoy it in one lump rather than spread out thinly over months.

There are some definite surprises in this book that I didn't see coming and it has a wonderful reveal that pieces everything together, including some things that only the most perceptive will have picked up on earlier in the book.





2. Throne Of Glass



This series has been sitting on my shelf for quite a while now. It's been floating around the blogosphere for what feels like forever but I only just got around to picking it up.

I cannot remember the last time a book hooked me quite so well. I was really into it from the very beginning and read it in a few days, which for term time, and a book of 400+ pages, of relatively small print, was really impressive for me.

The characters are all very rounded and interesting and there are some real twists and turns. The fantasy element of it is a slow burn, which I'm all for!

My one concern was the threat of a love triangle that leered it's ugly face over the second half of this book. I know why triangles exist but I just have yet to see one done particularly well. I will be delving into the next book in this series quite soon to see what becomes of this intriguing world and it's inhabitants.


Still reading: Outlander (Audiobook), Lord of the Flies, The Mysterious Affair at Styles

What did you read this month?

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!