Pages

Sunday 5 August 2012

The Music of the Night

This is a non writing related post, but as I'm struggling to blog at the moment, this will have to do! (Plus I will use any and every opportunity to talk about this particular subject matter...)

PHANTOM.

Ahem. In case you don't already know, I am a HUGE fan of the Phantom of the Opera. Ever since the 2004 movie with Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler, I have been ever so slightly obsessed. I think the first ever fan fiction I wrote was about Phantom, but I never finished it! (Sarah, not finishing a story? GASP, IT CANNOT BE!)

I was lucky enough to see the West End production in April when I went to London with friends. It was an amazing experience and I cried through most of the songs. I even waited after and got to meet the wonderful man who had played the Phantom, Peter Joback. I did talk about it in a previous post here.

Now, Phantom of the Opera has been around for 25 years, and to celebrate this there was a special production produced in the Royal Albert Hall in London, which they released on DVD. ALSO, there has been a second UK production that has been touring all over the country. Through July they were in Dublin and I took my mother down to see it for her birthday! (Really it was just an excuse to see it again, but she did REALLY enjoy it! Honest!)

The Phantom was played by the fantastic John Owen-Jones, a bit of a legend in the world of musical theatre, and it was so amazing to see him live. And, like a true theatre fan, I was waiting at the stage door and got an autograph and picture with both him, and Simon Bailey, who had played Raoul.

Me with Simon Bailey who played Raoul. Isn't he gorgeous!

Me with John Owen-Jones who played the Phantom.
This man has the voice of an angel.

My brochure now has two Phantoms and two Raouls. 
As you can see I'm wearing a self-designed t-shirt which says "Get angry and drop a chandelier". If you know the plot of Phantom then you'll know why that's funny!

I've been really lucky these few months in getting to see this phenomenal show twice. Unfortunately though, it's  bit like a drug, and the more I see it, the more I want to see it again!

If you ever get to London, or New York I really would recommend it.

Gloat over!

Sarah x




1 comment:

  1. This sounds like such a cool experience! Do you write you fiction about music at all? Because you know so much about bands and such, I feel like you'd write a kick-ass, musical centered YA novel.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!