Pages

Saturday 4 February 2012

What I read in January

1. The Help

The Help

Technically I didn't read it, I listened to it. But never the less, I enjoyed it! It was a very gripping book, and although some people disagree, I think it deserved the hype that it got. The movie was also excellent and I'm glad it's gotten the oscar nominations it has. The way that this book was read really added to the experience. I think I would have struggled with the accents, especially for Aibileen and Minny. Some of the Skeeter sections seemed a little unnecessary at times, but other than that, it was a good read.

2. Twenties Girl

Twenties Girl

I read this while I was revising for my exams. I don't know if it was because I was so desperate to read anything that wasn't about Immunity or Pathology, but I devoured this book. It was fun and a good read. It's not going to win any literary awards but it was good clean fun. There were however bits of the book that were immensely cringe inducing and the situations were so awkward that I generally found it difficult to read. But that was about my only complaint!

3. Anna and the French Kiss

Anna and the French Kiss

A purchase that I made with some money after Christmas. I decided that I would get myself familiarised with  the contemporary genre. Another good book. As you can probably guess at this point, I'm very easily pleased when it comes to books. If I don't like them, I don't tend to finish them, and therefore can't say that I've read them!

4.  Looking For Alaska

Looking for Alaska

I was assured by a friend that I had to read John Green books. So I did. And I am so glad. At times this book was laugh out loud funny, and at others it had me crying. The title of the book leaves you guessing as to the major plot event, and I can tell you that it knocked me for six. I didn't expect it at all. There were some amazing philosophical quotes in this book too that really make you think about life and death and beyond. It does seem to just end though. Nothing feels resolved at the end which leaves me feeling a little unsatisfied for a few moments, until I put the book down and move on with things.

5. The Fault In Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars

From the blurb you can tell that this book isn't going to have a happy ending. And this book also hits a very raw spot within me because I nearly lost my dad to cancer when I was very young, and when I was 13 I also lost my cousin, the closest thing I had to a sister, to it as well. There are some beautiful messages to be taken from this book, about life and death and living while you can. John Green strikes me very much as the type of author that likes to tackle the big meaty topics in a refreshing, real, and sometimes humorous way. He really seems to be a fantastic author and I can't wait until I read some more of his work. One thing to note, is that this book also just seems to end in a very strange way. Perhaps that is his style. Again, nothing is really resolved and when you see that the next page is blank you almost want to say, "Really?" but it doesn't take away from it at all.

Phew. So, what books did you read in January?

Sarah xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!