Pages

Sunday 1 March 2015

What I read in February

February has been a very quiet month for my blog. I've been very much lacking in inspiration for anything written. And I had a very large reading slump as well. However, here's what I manage to read in February.

1. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

This book was deliciously cheesy. Like a 4 cheese pizza. The descriptions are wonderful and crisp and lovingly crafted. The plot is neither here nor there. A series of melodramatic events to throw the characters into as much peril as possible. I don't care for the story in terms of "oh, that was a dramatic twist" because it was all quite predictable once the story hit it's stride. I did find myself getting slightly annoyed at the increasing frequency of which the male protagonist got himself captured by the enemy. But it's a wonderful escape and even more so as I listened to it on audiobook. The narrator read it very well.









2. Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Having absolutely loved the film and being very excited for my first Neil Gaiman read, I was a little disappointed. Not that the book isn't good, but it's less of a nicely wrapped up package at the end of the story like the movie, and more bitter sweet. I suppose that's a more realistic portrayal, that not every story finishes with a perfect wrapped up bow. It was still a very good and quick read. Neil has an interesting way of telling stories and I am intrigued to read something else of his. I was given 'The ocean at the end of the lane' as a Christmas present so I hope to get stuck into that sometime, to see how one of his books reads without prior knowledge.










3. Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins

I'm not a huge fan of contemporary novels because I always think the dramas of 'real' life don't really match up to those portrayed in fantasy/dystopian/historical novels. However, as with Anna and the french kiss, I really enjoyed this book. The main character though, did grate on my nerves slightly. She has a personality trait that I feel has been done time and time again, that of being extremely self-conscious. However, they are common teenage emotions and I suppose I can't fault Stephanie for that. Again, a very enjoyable read.











Still reading: Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander #2), The Wicked and The Divine, Blood Red Snow White.

What did you read this month?

Sarah x


2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Stardust for the same reason. I love the movie. It's one of the few movies that make me believe in magic. I don't want my perception altered, even by the way it's "supposed" to be. It's foolish, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way about Stardust. The movie continues to be my favorite adaption of it. Outlander was a good read, but I didn't get hooked into the series. Sometimes it just ran a bit too long for me. As for Isla, I didn't connect with her as a protagonist so I failed to finish it. Looks like you've had some good reads though!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!